"Art meets Science": The First NMI Image competition!
Submit your best microscopy images!
We want to give the community the opportunity to show that their work is not only scientifically relevant but also creative, artistic and beautiful. This exciting competition is a great opportunity for microscopists from across Sweden to showcase their skills. It provides a great outlet for those that can capture the breath-taking and engaging beauty of the microscopical world! Images from the contest will be displayed at the NMI web and facebook pages. The award for the best images will be announced on May 27th 2018 during the Advanced Imaging of Cells in vitro and in vivo Symposium at Stockholm University.
See the terms & conditions for the image contest below.
We no longer accept contributions. Deadline for this year's competition was May 1st 2018
Terms & Conditions
1. Only participants affiliated to a Swedish institution can enter the contest.
2. The image should have a combined scientific and artistic content. The original image has to be a scientific image of a (biological) specimen and all type of microscopy techniques are acceptable. Images can be submitted as non-processed but you are encouraged to use any image processing technique or montage that you think would give your image an extra edge.
3. Only individuals that are the direct owners of the images can enter the contest. By entering the image in the contest the contestant guarantees that he/she has the copyright to the image. One person can submit a maximum of 3 images.
4. Images have to be submitted in a digital format, images in high resolution are preferred (1000x1000 pixels or bigger). Max file size is 300 MB. Accepted file formats are jpg, png or tiff.
5. Images should be sent to email@example.com no later than May 1st 2018. The following information should be included for each image,
Name of image owner
Title of image (max 40 characters including spaces)
Short description of the image including any modifications made (maximum 100 words)
Name of Laboratory/Facility and Host Institution where the image was captured
The name and model of the instrument with which the image was captured
6. Selection procedure, once the deadline has passed all entries submitted will be reviewed by a jury composed of the facility heads of the NMI nodes. The best images will be displayed on the NMI webpage and facebook page. The image that receive the most votes will be awarded the prize. Voting will end 12.00 on May 27th 2018.
7. The authors of the image remain its sole owners. NMI reserve the right to use all submitted images in whole or parts of, as digital and printed media. NMI can do so without prior notice to the copyright owner or payment for such use. All images will be properly credited.
Prizes are sponsored by NIKON & BergmanLabora
First prize - Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x42 binoculars
Second prize - Nikon Sportstar EX 10x25
Third prize - Nikon Aculon W10 8x21